Saturday, September 22, 2007

Recruitment

Greek Life...often times people want to stereotype Greeks as soon as they heard the word. To be honest I also had negative view about Greek life as a freshman in college. I was unsure of what sororities or fraternities had to offer. Did my hair have to be blonde to become a member? Did I have to participate in some crazy midnight activity to become a member? So I went through Greek formal recruitment at Simpson to find out.

Soon enough I realized the girls in the sororities were real. They weren't a fake mold of girls you see in most sororities. These were the girls who were very involved on campus, and the girls I could look to for advice throughout my college years. Joining a sorority was something I never could have imagined, but now I couldn't live without it.

Joining a sorority has given me opportunities to be a leader and hold office, along with participate in the perks of Greek Life. Perks such as Greek Week (similiar to Homecoming style events), fall parties, spring formals, and national conventions for my sorority. The networking through a sorority is also amazing. I can be wearing my letters almost anywhere in the United States, and I'll meet an alum of my sorority.

This past week has been formal recruitment here at Simpson (yes folks that's why I haven't written...sad day in the world of blogging). I loved being on the other side of formal recruitment this year. This year I got the chance to meet all the first years and encourage them to go through recruitment. I got to meet the awesome new students and see what these girls can add to my house. It was probably one of the best weeks, and I can't wait to get to know my new sisters.

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out, you can't explain it"

No comments: